Established 1864

history image

As currently constituted the Royal Naval Club and Royal Albert Yacht Club dates from 1971 following the amalgamation of the two famous old Clubs.

The Royal Naval Club was formed by four Royal Naval Lieutenants serving on board HMS Bellerophon anchored off Spithead in September 1867. From those humble beginnings grew a Club of international prestige and importance graced by kings and princes which at one stage could claim to have one hundred and sixty Admirals on the books. Over the years no fewer than 19 members of the club have been recipients of the Victoria Cross.

The Royal Albert Yacht Club takes its name from the Albert Yacht Club formed in 1864 under the patronage of Prince Albert who was a very keen sailor. The following year the "Royal" was added by gracious permission of Queen Victoria and at the same time the Club assumed responsibility for the Portsmouth and Southsea Regattas held in the eastern Solent. For the next seventy years the Club continued to prosper. In 1939 The Royal Albert Yacht Club sold its home in Southsea and for the duration of the war was housed within the Royal Naval Club. After the war, however, the Royal Albert Yacht Club moved out and joined up temporarily with the Royal Portsmouth Corinthian Yacht Club only to move on again at the time of the amalgamation.

The existing Royal Naval Club and Royal Albert Yacht Club premises were originally formed from three separate properties. In April 1868 the premises of the Hampshire Banking Company were purchased for £900 and now form the western half of the present Club. At a meeting in June 1871 it was resolved to buy the property adjoining the Club, the Fitzclarence Tavern and the private residence attached for £1,400. Joining together of the three buildings was completed in 1875 and the distinctive tower extended to its full height at the same time.

2012 saw the first significant change to the appearnace of the clubhouse for almost 140-years with the completion of the development of two penthouse apartments on the roof of the building.  These final complete the unification of the facade with a common roof line and the mansard construction fits well with the original Victorian theme.

In 2014 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Albert Yacht Club, the club staged a major regatta in June not seen in the Eastern Solent since the helycon days of sailing in 1908, followed by a celebration and prize giving in July.